Não sou de esquerda nem de direita, sou o Daniel

I have always thought of myself as a moderate conservative capitalist. It was not until my activism in the field of animal welfare, my studies in financial regulation and my drifting away from religious intolerance that I started to defend different (and sometimes paradoxical) ideas.

At a first stage, I felt apprehensive, but ultimately concluded that it is a sign of maturity not to be confined to the same line of thought  in every matter, which is why I have decided to write my own political manifesto, hoping it will help me understand what it is exactly that I have come to defend at this point in my life.

One thing I know for certain: I despise political parties. I loathe ideology. I abhor labels. I have nothing but scorn for the idea of being ‘left’ or ‘right’.

I hope my views keep changing through time. Contradiction is good. Evolution is even better.

In some issues, I am a libertarian (“no government involvement”), in others a liberal (“individual freedoms”), a conservative (“tradition and social stability”) a capitalist (“private ownership”) or a communitarian (“the public good”).

I am thus pouring my heart out to you with my most sincere and personal opinion of what I believe in. This is, in short, who I am.



1. The Economy & State Intervention: Free markets are utopic. Regulation is essential to prevent systemic risk, excessive leverage and abusive market practices. However, in times of prosperity, government intervention should be tuned down to a minimum to prevent overburdening the private sector with unnecessary capital and liquidity requirements.
Imposition of a relatively high minimum wage is important to establish a strong middle class, fighting social inequalities.


2. Taxes: Taxation is the main vehicle of social justice, which is why it should be used with prudence. Since every socio-economic class needs the same opportunities, I favour proportional (eg. everyone pays 15% of what they make) to progressive (eg. poorest pay 15%, richest pay 50%) income taxation. It is an absolute sickening idea that the rich should be taxed so much more intensively, as this will only force society’s biggest producers to stop producing, hire less or fire, evade taxes or move their business (Laffer’s curve).

3. Health: The idea of private entities profiting off such as a basic human need as healthcare is sickening to me. Universal government run healthcare system with essential services for free (paid for through taxes). Against the idea of compulsory insurance (eg. Obamacare – you are fined if you don’t purchase insurance... where is the free will?!).

4. Culture & Immigration: In favour of a relatively open immigration policy but bearing in mind that multiculturalism also has its perils. Rather than establish their own parallel micro-communities (eg. muslims in Europe), immigrants must go through an integration phase in order to embrace and respect the identity of the country welcoming them.
Cultural identity is fundamental, but does not justify a high budget over the likes of ministries such as health or social security. Really more of a strategy/mentality issue than a financial one. Patriotism, for example, should be more encouraged in schools from a tender age.

5. Education: A mix of public and private contributions does not shock me (not as essential to survival as healthcare) but private tuition should be regulated and steps should be taken to ensure adequate public schooling for those who cannot afford a private school.

6. Foreign Policy & National Security: When it comes to defence, I will always favour the collective over the individual. Surveillance, when justified, should prevail over individual rights to privacy. Torture, albeit cold-blooded, can be legitimate if it is strictly used to save lives.
Regarding military intervention, I believe that history has taught us that interference in religious fanatic countries whose culture we cannot even begin to understand has mostly proved to do more harm than good.

7. European Union: There is nothing more valuable to a country than its sovereignty. I am pro-integration, but not this kind of integration. Intergovernmentalist, not a federalist. Ideally, European countries would be signatories to an international organization, rather than regions of a federal state.

8. Drugs & Crime: I am by no means an expert, but decriminalization and possession for personal use of small amounts makes sense to me (eg. successful Portuguese drug policy).
Increase maximum jail time, never death penalty (a state who kills for punishment is a murderous state – focus should be also on rehabilitating!).

9. Abortion & Euthenasia: Although my views on euthanasia (pro-assisted termination) have changed, on abortion they have not (pro-life). Religion should have absolutely no say in how I want to live or end my quality-less life. Freedom of choice is essential. However, euthanasia should only be allowed subject to stringent regulation (understandable in a situation of intolerable chronic pain, but not with any terminal illness), it should obviously be the exception and not the rule, nor should it ever result in less investment in palliative treatments or in the investigation of cures to terminal diseases. Regarding abortion, I can in no way see beyond the murderous act that it is. Life begins at conception, meaning an unborn child has every right to see the light of day. Adoption should be the most viable alternative to an unwanted child.

10. Animals & The Environment: Strictly against bullfighting and hunting as a sport or any other form of animal cruelty (inhuman traditions have no place in the culture of a civilized society), from circus shows to animal testing to putting away dogs in kennels (encourage adoption rather than dog breeding!!!). Tax advantages for animal charities, regulating and supervising disgraceful practices in slaughterhouses/abattoirs and finally lifting animal welfare to the true social cause it deserves to be.
Although I have not been gifted with the highest environmental awareness, it is only logic that the principle should be the same as with animals. The more sustainable we make our planet, the higher our quality of life will be.

11. Homosexuality: We have come too far in history for any form of sexual orientation not to be accepted in our society. Enforcement should be taken against discrimination, whether in schools, work environment, sports, politics, etc. Nevertheless, we must not forget the dangerous precedent that would be set with the acceptance and encouragement of gay marriage and adoption. Should we see a boom in these unnatural practices, what would be of the role of the family in society and of the interests of the child (the ultimate purpose) in adoption?
 

Comentários

Mensagens populares